Rain Disaster in Kodagu
Kodagu received one of its heaviest rainfall in many years and heavy rain continued to lash the district and water started rising in the rivers.Flooding occurred in several areas and landslides swept through the 2 taluks of Madekeri and Somwarpet in Kodagu District, destroying several villages and areas and leaving in its trail – disaster, destruction and grief.
ODP took immediate initiatives to take up relief works for the flood affected people of Kodagu.ODP played a major role in relief works and coordinated with different partners for the visits, support and collaboration.
Collection of Funds & Goods:
- ODP organised a one day collection in Mysore city.All ODP staff with students went to 20 different locations of Mysuru. The response from the locals was very good and we were able to collect Rs. 166,298/- (Rupees One Lakh Sixty Six Thousand Two Hundred and Ninety Eight only) in cash; and goods worth about Rs. 65,000/- in kind.
- ODP coordinated with many other organizations which also supported with goods in kind for immediate relief. Clothes, Groceries, Sanitary pads, Stationery, Washing soap, Bathing soap, Tooth Brush, Toothpaste, Blankets, Bedsheets, Towel, Provisions,Vessels, Bleaching powder, Candles, Matchboxes, and Mosquito nets all worth of Rs 69,78,969.00were mobilized and distributed in the distressed areas.
- Immediate data collection was done by the ODP staff on villages affected families who have lost their homes and families whose homes have been damaged. In 42 villages 563 houses collapsed and 537 houses damaged.
- The ODP director and staff made more than 40 visits to the flood effected areas in Kodagu in order to plan, review and implement the various flood relief activities. In addition, 6 of ODPs field staff in Kodagu were in constant touch with the flood victims – providing them with succour and comfort in a tireless manner.
Relief Kits distribution in Flood affected Area: Nanjangud, Hunsur, H D Kote
Due to heavy downpour and the increase in inflow of water to Kabini, Taraka and Nugu reservoirs, water released from these reservoirs had hit the normal life from breaching of tanks, inundating bridges, house collapse, houses damage,destroying standing crops. Flood has washed away food grains, cloths, utensils, household articles etc. etc.
ODP has conducted door to door survey atD.B Kuppe, Machchur and Bidarahalli ,K Yedathore ,Matakere of HD Kote taluk and Rehamath Mohalla, Mazid Mohalla and Kalkunike, Uyigondanahalli, and KudineeruMuddenahalliof Hunsur taluk area. 171 families were affected by the floods and 8 families have lost their cattle’s and houses.
On 5th&6th September 2019 Most Rev. Dr. Thomas Antony Vazhapilly – Bishop Emeritus of Mysore Diocese, Rev. Fr.Denis D’souza, Sr. Shanthi and Mr. Mohan Monteiro- BoardMembers- ODP, Br. Rudolfand ODP staff visitedHalladakeri, Topinabeedi and Gowrikatte of Nanjangud and K.Yedathore, Matakere villages of HirigePanchayath and distributed 145 relief kits – food grains, toiletry items, clothes, tarpaulins.
KROSS – Bangaluru has supportedRs. 200000/-for the flood victims. ODP has prepared 116 relief kits worth of Rs. 2000/- containing Dhal, Rice, Paste,Washing soap, Bathing soap, Tooth brush, Green gram, Sugar,Wheat and Bedsheets.
On 28th October 2019Rev. Fr.Alex Prashanth Sequeira- Director, Rev. Fr. N.T Joseph – Dean – Hunsur Zone, Fr. VincentMonteiro– Chancellor, and ODP staff visited flood affected areas – RahamathMohalla – Hunsur taluk, Oyegondahanalli and Matakere village of H D Kote taluk and distributed –116 kits. Fr. Alex Prashanth Sequeira addressed the gathering and counselled the flood affected families and assured moral and spiritual support. At local level municipality counsellor and Gram Panchayath members supported in identification of families and distribution of kits.
Kodagu Rehabilitation Projects 2019
- New House Construction- 10
- House Refurbishiment- 39
- New Anganavadi Construction- 1
- Anganavadi Refurbishiment- 4
- Goverment School Refurbishiment- 3
- Primary Health Care- 1
- Learning kids to Anganavadi- 13